Learning To Read with ABC Mouse
Learning to read with ABCmouse.com is interactive. My review of ABCmouse.com helps you understand how the program helps your child become a good reader. ABCmouse.com offers an entire curriculum with reading, writing, math, social studies, art, and music with over 350 lessons and six levels. Your child will also be able to select books, games songs, animations, puzzles, and printable sheets. When the lessons are completed they are rewarded with tickets. The levels are designed into categories.
Preschool 3 and older levels 1 & 2
Preschool-Kindergarten levels 3-4
Kindergarten levels 5-6
Different Sections for Learning
ABCmouse.com is intended for preschool to kindergarten. It is a very colorful site with detailed graphics. When you first sign up, your child will be directed to the about me section with six different parts.
My Avatar allows your child to select their own clothes, physical features, and pet.
My Favorites keeps track of your child’s favorite activities they have completed.
My Lessons shows your child will which lessons have been completed and which ones they still need before graduating to the next level.
My Email teaches your preschooler how to compose, forward, reply, delete, and print emails. Although the messages are not sent to a real email address it is a good tool for teaching.
My Files will save your child’s selected images for them to print later.
My Tickets is a ticket reward system for completing each activity. This is one of the best features. It is where your child will go when they want to see how many tickets they have earned. When I did this with my daughter her eyes lit up! She was so excited to be earning tickets.
ABCmouse.com offers an extensive three-step learning program. Each step has hundreds of activities that enhance your child’s learning. All of these learning steps can be accessed through the home page of the website.
Step by Step Learning
Step by Step Learning begins with these steps:
- Enrolling in the program and selecting the level that is appropriate for your child. If you find that the level is too easy or difficult it can be changed to meet your child’s needs.
- Go into the actual classroom and click the path on the whiteboard in the classroom. All of the step by steps learning will take place on the whiteboard. Once that is clicked, then it will open up to a preselected path such as the beach, park, forest, or mountains. There are five lessons at each level. When your child finishes all lessons on their level they will graduate to the next level and get a certificate. Since children learn through repetition you will find that many activities are repeated to ensure that the child has understood the concept.
- Independent learning activities are activities that can be explored anywhere on the website.
- Begin by going into the classroom and clicking on the activity buttons at the top of the page.
- Your child can use the basics section to practice reading and math skills. The classroom is designed to have independent learning in all subjects. Just about any item in the classroom will turn into an activity.
- Guided learning is when parents have an opportunity to develop their own lessons tailored to their child’s needs.
- This is done by using the Lesson Builder feature on the parent homepage. This is especially helpful when if your child is struggling with a concept or when a concept is introduced or reinforced.
My Opinion of ABCmouse
- I found ABCmouse.com to be highly engaging. This website has a huge variety of lessons that span the entire curriculum. Any young child is sure to learn from this website. Although there are six different levels, you may find that your child may need some assistance with some of the concepts. Especially, with the sight words, and word families. Those can be difficult for a preschool student. Having the opportunity for independent learning is a wonderful idea, however, it can be easy for your child to wander into those activities before they have mastered the concepts. If this happens I would suggest turning it into a guided learning lesson.
- Another advantage to the lessons on ABCmouse.com is that every lesson throughout the entire website begins with a book about the topic. I found this to be a big advantage because it reinforces that reading is everywhere. Additionally, it introduces children to fictional and non-fictional text. Being introducing early will provide children a wealth of vocabulary spanning across all subjects.
- The disadvantage I see is that ABCmouse.com can be overwhelming and it may be easy for your child to get off task. I would suggest monitoring and if that happens then you can rediret them to what they should be doing.
Overall, ABCmouse.com has a variety learning opportunities for the young child. It is the perfect place for your child to begin their education so that they are off to a successful beginning to their education. I highly recommend this program. Starting your child early to learning is the key to being a success in school. Click here to get your free month today!
All the Best,